I believe that art is meant to be seen. Otherwise, what’s the point?
But that doesn’t mean I don’t expect to be fairly compensated for my work, especially when used commercially. But I’ve adopted a licensing policy that is designed to balance the costs that go into creating and sharing my images (it’s certainly not free!) with the desire to provide inspiration through my images on the internet and around the world.
Therefore, you may use my images in two ways:
ALISTAIR BURKE PHOTOGRAPHY LICENSE:
With Creative Commons you are free to:
- Share: Copy, Distribute, and Transmit the image
- Remix: Create Derivative works of the image
Under these conditions:
- Attribution: Attribution to Alistair Burke and Alistair Burke Photography must be made along with the image.
- Non-Commercial: The image must not be used for commercial purposes under any circumstances. For clarity on what defines commercial use, please see the Sample Accepted Uses below.
EXAMPLES OF ACCEPTED USE OF THE CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE:
- Blog Post describing a trip to Italy
- Online article discussing the importance of “signature” in one’s photography
- A website for a school project describing how photography is used to tell our stories
- An individual using an image as a desktop background for a computer monitor
LICENSE TO COPYRIGHT
‘Commercial Use’ regarding the use of images online or offline is defined very broadly. The determination of commercial or non-commercial use is based on the contextual use of the image. The determination is NOT based on the tax-filing status of the entity using the image nor on whether or not a financial transaction takes place.
Commercial use of my images is allowed only if expressly granted by Alistair Burke. All commercial uses carry a licensing fee. My fees are based on the following criteria:
- Media – print, web, television, etc.
- Distribution Size – number of copies printed, viewing audience size, exposure (regional, national, international)
- Length of Use – 1 year, 2 years, etc.
- Prominence of Display – 1/4 page, 1/2 page, full page, spread, front cover, back cover, home page (online), interior page (online), etc.
All licensing inquiries can be made by contacting me via email : firstname.lastname@example.org
EXAMPLES REQUIRING A LICENSE TO COPYRIGHT:
- A marketing campaign for a commercial business or entity
- A fund-raising campaign for a not-for-profit entity
- A background image for a website about furniture or any other product
- License to create an individual print for use in a private home